Monday, September 9, 2013

More Shoes Dropping

Today is Monday, September 9, 2013.

See?  I told you. 

I wrote in my blog post last Friday that I wouldn't want to be married to a man who thinks a gun will solve his problems.  Now George Zimmerman is in custody again for domestic violence against his estranged wife and her father.  And yes, the incident involved a gun.

According to Shellie Zimmerman's attorney, she found a firearm in the home they shared and George pulled a knife on her.  Later, in an argument between Shellie, George, and Shellie's father, George threatened them with his gun.  This was during a verbal argument, and no one was shot, but if anyone had been, I suspect that the Stand Your Ground law could not have saved old George from the slam.  Not this time. 

Naturally, he hasn't been charged with a crime, but I do hope Shellie gets a restraining order.

When will George Zimmerman and others of his ilk realize that a gun is not going to solve all their problems?

I'm OK with having a gun for sport, as long as the sport is shooting at targets and not shooting live animals just for fun.  I'm even OK with having a gun for protection, although I think guns just tend to exacerbate situations, and the people you really have to protect yourself from generally also have a gun.  They probably know how to use it better than you do, anyway.

As for hunting, very few people these days actually hunt for food to eat, but as long as you do eat what you kill, I guess that's OK.  Really, hunting is a "sport" nowadays, not a necessity of life.

I do not think that automatic or semi-automatic weapons of any kind belong in the hands of anyone other than the military, but I realize that as long as there are gun controls, there will always be a black market for such things, as well as for regular hand guns and rifles bought without any checks by law-enforcement.

Anyway, this is all just my two cents.  I'm not surprised at these developments in the Zimmerman case, and you probably aren't, either.  :-/

No comments: