Friday, November 15, 2013

Don't Think Too Much

Today is Friday, November 15, 2013.

I just had to write about this cartoon because it says so much.  The man is being showered with love, the unconditional love of God, but he is carrying an umbrella, which looks suspiciously like a brain.  There are a lot of people who like to get into philosophy and who like to do a lot of thinking about life.  There's nothing wrong with this, but when we think too much we sometimes inadvertently separate ourselves from the experience of receiving God's love in direct form.  Fortunately, we don't have to understand God in order to receive God's love.  

It's the same with a light switch.  I walk into my kitchen and turn on the switch, and the light works, assuming that the light fixture in the kitchen has not burnt out and that there has been no power outage.  I can't even give you an adequate definition of what electricity is or explain how it works, but I can turn on the light in the kitchen, anyway.  Now, a scientist could walk into my kitchen, too, and flip the switch, and he (or she) could explain everything, and that's fine - the scientist could appreciate the light in the kitchen on a whole other level from the way I appreciate it.  But all the same, the light switch works, whether someone understands how it works or not.   That's how God's love is. We don't have to understand it.  All we have to do is accept it and enjoy the shower.

I have always been a very mentally inclined individual, and I do love to think about and analyze things.  I have to remember not to spend too much time thinking and to spend more time "doing" and "experiencing."  Next time I'm tempted to spend a lot of time analyzing something, I'm going to bring out this little illustration and remind myself not to overdo on the analysis.  :-)

No comments: